Sunday, June 10, 2007

Salt Spring Rally III - Day 2 Saturday

Luckily the cabin came with a coffee maker and I was clever enough to bring some coffee. I wasn't quite clever enough since we had to get more for Sunday morning.Another mug of coffee and the great breakfast made through cooperation. Andrew and Carol fried up the bacon and Debra made french toast with a trail mix loaf (raisins & nuts) and served it up with warm Summerland strawberry syrup. Yum.
We spent a couple of hours wandering around Ganges shopping at the market and in the regular shops. I bought some cheeses at the Moonstruck booth and just one cookie at one of the bake stands. I also bought a great satchel with a Vespa stencil on the front. We went to Shipstones English Pub for lunch. I ordered the Salt Spring salad - mixed greens, sliced apple, poppyseed chevre, caramelized walnuts and a lime vinegrette. The only problem that you can't appreciate from the picture is that the plate was approximately 35cm square (14 inches). It was huge. I stuck it in the middle of the table and offered it to everyone. It was very, very good.I had also ordered the chicken wings with spicy Thai peanut sauce. These were also very good. I couldn't finish either the wings or the salad.
I did finish one of Debra's sweet potato fries. These were fabulous. I would recommend this pub to anyone visiting Salt Spring Island. Ask for Salma and tell her #62 sent you - sorry in-joke.
When we finally got back to the cabin and changed out of all our soaking clothes we lolled about aimlessly for awhile before Deborah made a nice cup of herbal tea.
Then we got into the beer.
And another.
Had the rest of the steak, more of the same green salad from last night (freshly made from the same ingredients) and some of the potato salad that Dick had made up take with us yesterday.
Some time later I nibbled on four celery sticks.
Half of one of the skor chip cookies.
And another beer.
Quite late in the evening I remembered the hazelnut cookie I had bought at the market and had that and some water.
Way too many calories and carbs but one of the most fun days I've had in a long time.

No comments: