Thursday, May 31, 2007

A little something besides pictures of food

I've been noticing that lots of people other than my immediate family and friends are finding my blog and I'm feeling like maybe there should be a little more substance. Since I'm always offering advice I thought maybe I could include a tag named after everyone's favorite gaming searches - 'hints, tips and cheats'. In this case cheats will probably refer to foods that feel like you're cheating but shouldn't really sabotage your low-carb efforts.
Not everything works the same for everyone but if you keep trying you might just find the one thing that changes how you feel about food. I'll start with a couple of books that helped me.


Passing for Thin: Losing half my weight and finding myself. By Frances Kuffel
Losing weight is really, really hard and doesn't have much at all to do with how hungry you are. I love Frances' voice and her honesty. Her book gave my own weight-loss mission a jump-start just when I needed one.

The Four Day Win: End your diet war and achieve thinner peace. By Martha Beck
If you're an Oprah fan you probably already know her. I saw her book in the library, read the jacket cover and yelled "Yes!" (in my head - it's a library, eh?). She seemed to get why so many of us yo-yo diet and her solutions will probably help a lot of people. To get an idea of what the book is about you can read the article "Taking the Weight Off ...Again" online.
I have to admit that while I did bring the book home from the library (twice) and read chunks of it I haven't really followed her plan. The little I did read though, changed how I felt about my dieting and gave me just a little more control than I had before. Good enough.

No comments: