Tuesday, May 29, 2007

How the %#$% did that happen?

Wanted some fibre in my diet so I had cereal made of flax this morning. Also coffee and a hard-boiled egg. Coffee for my coffee break.
Chicken salad with capers, some celery, jicama and radishes. Sugar-free gelatin.
Piller's pepperoni tidbitz. A serving of five pieces (30g) has 140 calories, less than the same weight of nuts, but jeez.
For dinner we made a big ole crock pot of "Country-Style Pork Ribs" from the Better Homes and Gardens Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes. The recipe says there should be 304 calories, 16 total fat, 9g carbohydrates. 30g protein per serving. The problem starts when I input all the ingredients into Fitday and the result says 497 calories per serving and the rest of the numbers are similarly high. I hadn't added anything into fitday until after dinner because I thought it was a really normal day. When I added the ribs, cauliflower puree and side salad my total calories for the day was 1,747! I weighed the ribs and gave myself a portion of 175g which included the bones (25g I weighed them afterward just to be sure). So I confirmed that 150g was approximately the amount of meat for one serving in fitday and sure enough - almost 500 calories! Too bad I made so much since I'm not going to want to eat this again anytime soon.
1,747! that's the last time I trust the numbers in a cookbook.

No comments: