Sunday, May 20, 2007

Rally Weekend, Woot!

Had a rough night and slept in. When I checked my messages meet-up had been moved up an hour and I was already late! Flax cereal and some coffee that I had to empty into my thermos after two sips.Once I got to the causeway I had some of the coffee.
In spite of pretty rotten weather (showers, light to heavy) we had over 50 bikes congregate at the inner harbour. There's Andrew and Carol and Richard in his shades despite the overcast.
After a couple of hours standing in the drizzle and an18km (11.5mi) very fast, very wet ride I ran into the Starbucks at Cadboro Bay Village to change my pants that were soaked through from bum to ankle. I was waiting to place my coffee order I noticed they had a bar called "Cranberry Chocolate Protein Bar with Soy" The chocolate was a little drizzle on top and it was dry enough to convince me that it was indeed high in protein. I was not pleased to find out when I got home that this little bar had 320 calories. Good thing I used Splenda in my coffee.

Once at the park we huddled under the eaves of the washroom/change house or waited impatiently while the grill was brought up to temperature under a three metre square Gazebo. By about 4pm I finally got my free smokie and didn't regret at all having the bar and coffee. I managed to pile onions, sauerkraut, relish and dijon on top. I ate all the dog but tossed the last quarter of the bun.Also provided were refreshing beverages. I'm not sure why they were in a cooler since the temperature outside was about 9c (48F) and the drink seemed a little warm in my hand.
When I finally got home I felt like a kid who's been out playing in the snow too long. Cold, wet, tired, sore and exhausted but happy. Doug had dinner at dinner-time but it wasn't until about 8:30 that I could summon any interest in the steak and salad he had made. Also sugar-free ginger-ale.
Carbs - way over. Calories - ? Probably not too many when you consider playing outside most of the day.

No comments: