Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's day in which I have my cake and eat it too

Up early, tidied house, drank coffee, showered, had a little Bresse bleu and a couple of strawberries and went out to the scooter meet.



Had a large americano (watered down espresso) at the Black Stilt.


Got home and started work on dinner. What with all the good smells I realized I was quite hungry. Knowing that dinner would be a little over the top I had a hard-boiled egg and some more of those little salami tidbitz for lunch. Also water.


There had been some discussion of Mother's Day Takeout if I couldn't get my act together, but with the help of the slow-cooker I managed to turn out a meal that included: Braised lamb shank in a Cabernet reduction, new potatoes with butter and parsley, grilled zucchini, green peas as well as baby carrots and a couple of hunks of jicama that were cooked with the lamb in the braising liquid. The wine was Tinhorn Creek 2003 Cabernet Franc which while good with the lamb and in the reduction left me underwhelmed in the glass.


On the left is my mother's plate with peas, new potatoes and lots of sauce. On the right my plate with three pieces of jicama, three baby carrots a chunk of zucchini. The photo also shows my side salad (nothing special).


For this special occasion (and because I didn't want to have to think about dessert) I picked up a small cake at the Village Patisserie - where I usually by coffee when at work. It was a vanilla sponge with lemon buttercream and Grand Marnier. The top was decorated with beige calla lilies and green leaves made of marzipan. I had a very small slice and before eating we stuck it on the scale for a total of 28g. No matter how I entered sponge cake and icing into fitday I couldn't get it over 100 calories - so maybe it wasn't.

While dinner left me quite full I certainly didn't over-eat and a few hours later (we had eaten around 5pm) I was seriously hungry. While my calories for the day were very low my carbs were quite high. Cake - whatcha gonna do? I had 30g of the old low-carb standby snack pork rinds and a big cup of Fresca.


Even later still feeling peckish and still in the 1,200 calorie range so I enjoyed a 125ml (1/2 cup) serving of cottage cheese with more pop and a couple of sugar-free Werthers to keep my mouth happy.


Totals for the day 1,355 calories and 50g net carbs. Lower than normal and cake. Wow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a delicious meal, my favourite lamb shank - missed the mint sauce though but the replacement was delicious! Mom