Sunday, June 3, 2007

Something like baking

Since it was a day ending in "Y" I had a big mug of coffee.One last go at the asparagus, emmental omelet. At least until I have both real swiss cheese and fresh asparagus in the house again at the same time.
Scooter meet today. Great big coffee at the Black Stilt. We were all giddy with the thought that in just 5 days we'll be leaving for the third annual Saltspring Island Scooter Rally. Woot!
Shared some veggies, sliced meat and cheese with Doug. We pretty much split what you see here although I made sure he got extra cheese. My half was about 30g each of deli turkey and Pepper's real roast beef as well as 45g of cheese and lots of low-carb veggies.
While at Pepper's I found some lovely fresh cod on sale as well a few large scallops. I made a cream sauce with a little garlic and threw in handful of the prawns we had in the freezer. About 30g of green beans to give it a little colour and we had a very tasty dinner. Also salad.
Sometimes I think I miss baking almost as much as I miss eating baked goods. Somewhere in the last week or so I got it into my head that I should try and make a cobbler/crisp/crumble dessert with some of the rhubarb I had previously stewed up. For this attempt I used oat bran, ground flax, whey protein concentrate, ground almonds and some butter. It was quite tasty but the rhubarb, having been frozen was very runny and the mixture sunk in so very little of it was actually crispy.
A dollop of whipped cream on the still hot crumble was a lovely dessert and the 'recipe' came in at just 200 calories per serving.
That gave me a total of 1,576 for the day and 38g carbohydrates.

Remember last Monday I set a goal to have 4 days in the next 7 under 1,500? Since I didn't make it today, tomorrow is my last chance. On the other hand I still haven't come up with a reward if I do manage. Still... wish me luck.

No comments: