Monday, August 20, 2007

This is no diet blog - not today, that's for sure!

A busy day today. Heading for an early matinee, then this evening Doug is taking me out to dinner with another couple at the restaurant Glo that I've been wanting to visit. I started slow...
Coffee and one serving of milk chocolate Whey Gourmet protein shake.


We're always looking for something to have during a movie. Especially when movies and their previews seem to last forever. We found this at the corner store of all places... it's a small (45g/1.6oz) bag of popcorn with a coating made of maltitol and whey protein powder. Power Pop sounds like a bit of a gimmick but it has a lot going for it and I think many people with various dietary restrictions may find it a useful occasional snack. I like the chocolate and Doug's favorite flavour is the lemon meringue.

After the movie - Hairspray - and it was fabulous! We stopped in at our favorite family run Greek place in the mall for a couple of skewers of souvlaki to keep us going until our 7pm reservation. About 50g each of seasoned pork and chicken and just enough tzatziki to dip.We started our meal with an appetizer of Brie stuffed Venison patties with a Saskatoon berry jus. I had one and Doug the other two.
I ordered one of the day's specials from the featured menu. Glo Paella. The grey muck in the top left corner is the sauted red onion from Doug's burger so please disregard. Otherwise it was a beautiful presentation. Four big mussels, four big prawns, several chunks of chicken and half a dozen large slices of chorizo all surrounded by a spicy rice with chunks of tomatoes and some barely wilted spinach. It was just about the tastiest thing I've had all year.
I also had one fry from Doug's plate. They make very good coffee too.


Now desserts. The desserts were ridiculous. Dope. Sick etc. etc. Brian ordered the Chocolate espresso torte. It was huge and the thick ganache on top was to die for!
Kathleen ordered the Creme brule. It was very rich, soft and creamy and the caramelized top was perfect.
Doug had the Lemon mousse - although I don't remember the word parfait from the menu. The presentation was great with layers of graham crumbs reminiscent of cheesecake crust and lots of whipped cream.
I ordered the Sticky toffee pudding and I think we all agreed that it was absolutely fabulous! There was a big dollop of whipped cream and a scoop of ice cream, two big pieces of a lovely dark sponge and the best toffee sauce I've ever had. The caramelized sugar flavour and the richness of it blew all of us away. I ate most of one bit of the cake, almost all the ice cream and rather a lot of the sauce. I also had a small bite of everyone else's dessert. I felt a little ill afterwards but rather than the "I shouldn't have eaten so much feeling" we both agreed that this time it really was worth it.
Calories: astronomical. Carbohydrates: astronomical + 1. One more day of birthday celebrating then back to normal.

No comments: